June Lythgoe Music Scholarship
The June Lythgoe Music Scholarship was established in 2006 as a memorial to June Lythgoe, a principal founder of AFI. Every second year a student pursuing a career in music is awarded $1000 towards further studies in music at a recognized post-secondary institution.
To read more about June Lythgoe and her commitment to Nelson and music please read Shannon Lythgoe’s Story: The Lythgoe Story
If you would like to donate to this Scholarship please visit CanadaHelps.org.
To apply download this June Lythgoe 2018 Scholarship application.
- 2010 – Malaika Horswill
- 2012 – Anna Backus
- 2014 – Gabriel Macdonald
- 2016 – Emma Chart
Production Skills Mentorship Award
One of the many challenges in staging musical productions is finding qualified local technicians and directors who have the skills required to mount musical productions. AFI created the fund to enable organizations mounting a production to engage a student technician or director to be mentored by the production’s counterpart senior technician or director.
These skills will include, but are not limited to:
- Stage direction
- Stage management
- Musical direction
- Production management
- Lighting design/staging
- Sound design/staging
- Set design/construction
- Costume design
To apply to the Production Skills Mentorship Fund please submit your Application to email@example.com.
Updated: Feb. 1, 2015
Doris Bradshaw Bursary
Music students in the West Kootenay’s (City of Nelson and Regional District Areas D, E, F, G and H) are encouraged to apply for this Doris Bradshaw, Amy Ferguson Institute (AFI) Bursary to help fund their current studies in music while attending school: elementary, junior or senior high.
- A bursary of $250 will be awarded annually to two recipients to further their musical studies
- A total of $500 will be dispersed annually
- Applications will be submitted by the students to AFI. The AFI Board will choose the bursary recipients.
- Requests can be made for students studying voice or any instrument.
- The bursary will vary annually between elementary, junior and senior high as much as possible.
- The bursary is offered for 10 years (2016 – 2025)
- The bursary will be awarded in October of each year.
- A successful applicant from a previous year may not apply.
APPLICATION: Doris Bradshaw Bursary
2018 Bursary Recipients
- Rio Isaacs – studies piano with Kathryn Whitehead, guitar and bass with Dave Roland and sings in Corazon Choir under Allison Girvan
- Harlan Hofmann-Miller – studies guitar with Rita Deane
2017 Bursary Recipients
- Lucas Alexander – studies piano with Anne MacDonald
- Soleil Babcock – studies voice with Allison Girvan
2016 Bursary Recipients
- Suki Simington studies piano with Anne Macdonald
- Marot Sammartino studies guitar with Rita Deane